Thanks

We spend a good amount of time talking about our work on the unidentified migrants from Brooks County to bring awareness to this humanitarian crisis on our southern border.  The presentations always end with a question and answer session as people are generally shocked at the sheer number of preventable deaths occurring in our country.  But there are also times when we are the ones who are surprised and humbled by those who reach out to us regarding our mission. Yesterday I received the following email:

“Dr. Latham, I read with interest your travels to Falfurrias.  I grew up in Premont and Fal, and although it was many years ago I still have family and friends there.  The plight of the Mexicans and other South and Central Americans through that country is tough.  When I was a kid I met many very honorable migrants.  From time to time migrants may come to our door looking for food and water.  Now we may have as many as 15 or 20 be at our back door at any given time.  As more and more came through our property we determined that it was inhumane to lock up our buildings and sources of water. The country can be brutal as you and your team know.  As things grow more difficult in their countries there is little choice for them, but to go north. Brooks and Jim Wells counties are dirt poor. So they are unable to do what you all are doing for them.  Thank you for your assistance.”

As I read the email to my team we were so grateful that a stranger would seek us out with this gesture of thanks.  This was exactly what we needed as we entered our second field season in Falfurrias.

~KEL